Do you have any of the following symptoms that require emergency treatment? Call 911 or other emergency services immediately.
- Any of the following during your pregnancy:
- During your lasttrimester:
- Fluid gushes or leaks from your vagina (the amniotic sac has ruptured) and either of the following happen:
- You know or think the umbilical cord is bulging into your vagina (cord prolapse).
- You know or think your baby's foot is bulging into your vagina (footling breech).
- Note: Call for help and immediately get down on your knees, bend forward, and put your head on the floor so your buttocks are higher than your head. This decreases pressure on the cord until help arrives. Cord prolapse can cut off your baby's blood supply.
Check Your Symptoms
If you answer yes to any of the following questions, click on the "Yes" in front of the question for information about how soon to see a health professional.
Review health risks that may increase the seriousness of your symptoms.
- If your doctor has given you specific instructions to follow during your pregnancy, be sure to follow those instructions.
- The information in this topic is specific to pregnancy-related problems. You may have a health problem, such as a sprained ankle, not related specifically to your pregnancy. If so, be sure to evaluate that problem.