Abdominal pain can often be prevented.
- Develop regular bowel habits to prevent abdominal pain caused by constipation. For more information, see the topic Constipation, Age 12 and Older.
- Develop regular eating habits. Overeating is a common cause of abdominal discomfort. Eat slowly and stop when you feel full.
- To prevent abdominal pain caused by swallowing air (aerophagia), do not chew gum or drink carbonated beverages.
- Prevent abdominal injuries by wearing your seat belt safely and correctly every time you drive or are a passenger in a car.
- Wear both your lap and shoulder belts. The shoulder strap should cross the collarbone, and the lap belt should fit low and tight.
- Do not wear your shoulder strap slipped behind the back or under the arm. This dangerous habit can cause severe injury, especially in cars with air bags.